Friday, May 9, 2008

From A Battlefield

To those at home,

I would tell you not to worry if I didn't already know that my request would be in vain. Recently, my battalion has been posted on guard duty around a medical outpost located in the Green Zone of Baghdad, so you can at least try to rest at ease knowing that I'm in the safest area in Iraq. I thought that seeing all the death and suffering around me would numb me to the pain of seeing another human being suffer, but I was happy to see that I was wrong. About a month ago, as I sat at my post, I saw a helicopter fly in to unload some poor soldier who had been hit by some shrapnel from a roadside bomb and just looking at the poor fellow I knew that even if he made it through by some miracle, he wouldn't be the same. I don't want to recall the gruesome details, but it will suffice to say he will never walk on his two legs again. Saddened by this scene, I was determined to go visit the guy once he started to feel better - something that happened just yesterday. At first, he just lay in his bed listening to me just talk about whatever came to my mind. I talked about my close encounters, about all of you back home, about basketball and football and after about an hour or so, he started to tell me about his time back in the USA. He hasn't talked to me about his extensive injuries but we have bonded on talks about sports and general banter. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I'm doing well and that I'm looking forward to next month when I get to come back home.

Love all of you,
Soldier X

No comments: